Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November . . .

November was packed with lots of fun, hanging out with friends, trying new recipes and crafts.

James likes to send me recipes he finds on the internet, that he wants me to try and make. So I made him a big batch of spicy chicken soup and mini corn bread muffins. It was a time consuming recipe, that turned out amazing, but it could of fed more than 10 people. We ended up giving half of it to our friends, next time I will have to only make a third of what I made. It is definitely a recipe I will be making again, here is a link Catherine's Spicy Chicken Soup. The corn muffins turned out alright, but I think next time I will try a different recipe, James didn't care for them too much. 

My first baby boy afghan I crocheted, James helped me pick out the colors. I think it turned out pretty good, it was just very time consuming.

Date Night!

We went to the hooka bar, with April and Jon. It was a lot of fun, and it was my first time going to a hooka bar. It was a pretty laid back place, they don't serve food or drinks, but you are welcome to bring your own. So we brought a cooler with some drinks in it. They even had a guy singing live music. I think going to the hooka bar opened a door for a new hobby for James to invest in. Uh Oh!

My First Wreath

So this wreath is pretty special, I made it out of an old pair of ACUs that James wore while deployed to Afghanistan. Besides the base of the wreath and some felt, the whole wreath is made out of a pair of ACUs.

I started out with cutting strips of fabric, which left me covered in little strings once I was finished.

Since Hawaii doesn't have the best craft store and their selection is very sparse, I had to improvise on what I used as my base for my wreath. So I took a wreath that had some decorations already on it and stripped it down to just the base. I then started threading the strips of ACU through and tying them.

I took a section of ACU and wrapped it around and secured it with the draw string from the ACU bottoms, that way I could be able to attach the flowers easier.

It took two days to finally finish it, It ended up being pretty tedious, with all the threading and tying but it turned out pretty good.

Made some felt flowers, which turned out pretty cute. I even used the buttons for the center of the flowers.

Hot glued the flowers on to the fabric.

 Since we have a screen door, I wanted it to hang on the outside so it could be seen better. So I added a loop to the back by using the strip of fabric from the waist band and resewed the button so that it could fasten. It ended up working pretty good.

Here it is all hung up.

Thanksgiving!
One of my favorite holidays. Growing up every Thanksgiving was spent with family, always filled with lots of great memories, plus great food. This Thanksgiving we hosted it at our house, it was packed and we had tons of great food. James made a turkey for the first time and it turned out amazing.

The turkey turned out so juicy. What an amazing cook.

The desert I made, it had a cookie and pecan crust, a pumpkin filling and a sweet cream cheese topping.

It was a great month but I'm excited that December is here and I'm ready for the Christmas festivities!



No comments:

Post a Comment