Saturday, May 29, 2010

Deployment and books . . .

So I just realized that throughout James' deployment, I have been able to get a lot of reading done. I am currently on book number five. I think I may need to make a trip to Barnes and Noble this weekend to find a couple new books. These books have definitely helped to keep me distracted as I wait for him to come home. Reading books may be a breeze for many, but I'm not the type of person who can just sit down and read a book in a day. Many of these books I started reading years ago and then never got around to finishing them, but this time around I was able to read them all the way through. Big accomplishments here for me.


So two of the books that I read during this deployment were books by Amy Tan. I have found her to be very captivating, she has a way with words and describes each scene and setting in a way that it comes alive. I have read all of her books except for one now, the last one being The Joy Luck Club. I have seen the movie it was emotional and sad, I'm not sure I would be able to get through it.








The other two books that I have read, have been Nicholas Sparks books. I don't know why I picked such emotional books to read, especially since my emotions have been so high with James being gone and all. But his way with words and how I find my self so sucked into the story line and not being able to put them down has got me hooked. I may just have to pick up another one of his emotionally strung novels. It all started when the movie Dear John came out, I picked up the book because the movie trailer intrigued me. I really wanted to read it before I saw the movie, but before I got the chance to start reading it my best friend talked me into seeing it with her, both of our husbands were deployed at the time. I knew going into the movie I was going to be balling my eyes out. But I found myself crying over the little things in the movie that reminded me of my husband and how it was when James left for deployment. It was a great movie but I couldn't stand Savannah's character and the fact that she would do that to John while he was deployed, I was just so disgusted with her. My husband asked me how I liked it, I told him how I felt and he laughed and said, "What did you expect the movie is titled 'Dear John'." So then I started reading the book and I was able to finish it on the plane ride home from Hawaii. When I was done, I sat there with my head on my sleeping husband's shoulder crying silently to myself, because at that point with all the emotions from the book, all I could think about was that I would soon have to say good bye to him once again. All in all I think if I would have read the book before hand, I don't think I would have even gone to see the movie, because Savannah was an even bigger bitch in the book than she was in the movie.
So on to The Last Song, I thought this was another great book, a little juvenile but still a great read. Before getting to the last couple chapters of the book, I thought it was odd that unlike his other books it hadn't gotten too emotional yet. But then he hits you with all of the tear jerker parts, I should have known it was coming. As a reader you could definitely taken in all the emotions that the main character Ronnie was going through. I do plan to netflix the movie of this book. But I have to admit I was fully disappointed when I IMDbed the movie to see who they had casted as the characters, some of them looked nothing like what I pictured them to look like. I think I can over look this though.

This next book that I've started reading is definitely nothing like the others, but I have founded it very stimulating. It was recommend by another military wife, so I thought I would read it because she had so many good things to say about it. It is a book sharing advise, support and reassurance to married couples in things that have come and what is to come in a marriage. So far so good... but now thinking about, maybe I'll wait til my husband comes home and see if he wants to read it together. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment