Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Bitter Sweet . . .

So I just finished my 5th book during this deployment, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. A great read that I didn't want to end, I think that's why it took me so long to read it. It was a Romeo and Juliet kind of story set in the time of WWII, between a young Chinese boy and a young Japanese girl. It takes place in Seattle's Chinatown, which made it even more intriguing to me since as a child I spent time there with my father. All of the places that he talks about in the book are many places that you would recognize if you are familiar with Chinatown. Although the is fiction many aspects of the book are true, which made the book very captivating. Jamie Ford is a great writer and I found myself stay up to the late hour of the night reading because I just didn't want to put the book down. Unfortunately it seems that this may be the only kind of book this author is going to write for a while, now he is working on a set of graphic novels (not something I'm really into). But hopefully he will write more books like this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment